Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

I've seen this cake from one of culinary show in Travel & Living Channel. It was look so mouth drooling. But somehow I can't even remember the ingredients except that it used Sour Cream to moistened the cake.

And yesterday it's just about the time to try. I have sour cream in my fridge, and I have a birthday sign on my calendar. The problem is.. I don't have the mood to make it until my darling daughter asked why I don't have a birthday cake to celebrate my birthday. She said she already prepared the balloons to cheered up the celebration. Oh dear.. That's a question I could never ignore.

So then I googling the recipe and found the simple one. Well.. It's not that simple but it has unsual method and makes me so curious to try. And I tell you what.. I finally found another best cake recipe after Red Velvet! Yess.. I love it damn much. The texture is just right. Thick but not hard, moist and so lovely to chew.

I only made the cake from the recipe. The cake is supposed to frost with chocolate icing but I'm soooo lazy to chopped and melted the chocolate. So I just used a whipped cream and melted white chocolate chips to filled and frosted the cake. I don't even use any pipping bag or spuit to decorate it. But hey.. For a 4 years old girl, any cake with a candle on it is a birthday cake. :))

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Vanilla&Strawberry Frosting

SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE
By : Diana Rattray (Southern Food)

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa --> I used 80% cocoa powder
  • 1 3/4 cup sugar --> I used only 1 cup of confectioners sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine --> unsalted butter
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Methods:

  • Line bottoms of three 8-inch layer pans with wax paper.
  • In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk, and milk. 
  • Cook, stirring constantly to prevent sticking, until thickened. Cool. 
  • Cream butter until light and fluffy; add remaining 1 cup of sugar, beating until well blended. 
  • Add 1 egg and 2 egg yolks; mix well. 
  • Stir in sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream. 
  • Add vanilla and cocoa mixture. 
  • Beat remaining (3) egg whites until stiff; fold into cake batter.  
  • Pour batter evenly into the three pans. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. 
  • Turn out onto racks and peel off wax paper. Cool.
  • Frost with Chocolate Butter Frosting or your favorite frosting. 

Notes :  
  • I made only 1/2 recipe and used two 16 cm round cake pans.  
  • For the frosting I used fresh strawberries and 1/2 cup of cream, beat until fluffy. Then add 1/4 cup of melted white chocolate chip. Beat together until thick. 



And who's bithday exactly it is?? :))


3 comments:

Rachmah Setyawati said...

hahaha...siapapun yang berultah, Rifa yang tiup lilinnya, teteeep !

Ike Hermawan said...

itu kan Mira junior...hehe...lucuuu....
Mir, kue na giung teu?

Mira G. Lestari said...

Hehehehe.. begitulah Mba R. Siapapun yang ulang tahun di keluarga, Rifa KUDU tiup lilin. :D :D

Teh Ike, Mira kurangin gulanya mpe 1/2. Jadi gak giung. Soalnya si cream vanilla nya udah maniis.. Enak beneran. Kayak Sacher tapi lebih legit.