And yesterday it's just about the time to try. I have sour cream in my fridge, and I have a birthday sign on my calendar. The problem is.. I don't have the mood to make it until my darling daughter asked why I don't have a birthday cake to celebrate my birthday. She said she already prepared the balloons to cheered up the celebration. Oh dear.. That's a question I could never ignore.
So then I googling the recipe and found the simple one. Well.. It's not that simple but it has unsual method and makes me so curious to try. And I tell you what.. I finally found another best cake recipe after Red Velvet! Yess.. I love it damn much. The texture is just right. Thick but not hard, moist and so lovely to chew.
I only made the cake from the recipe. The cake is supposed to frost with chocolate icing but I'm soooo lazy to chopped and melted the chocolate. So I just used a whipped cream and melted white chocolate chips to filled and frosted the cake. I don't even use any pipping bag or spuit to decorate it. But hey.. For a 4 years old girl, any cake with a candle on it is a birthday cake. :))
SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKEBy : Diana Rattray (Southern Food)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa --> I used 80% cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup sugar --> I used only 1 cup of confectioners sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine --> unsalted butter
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line bottoms of three 8-inch layer pans with wax paper.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine cocoa, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk, and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly to prevent sticking, until thickened. Cool.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy; add remaining 1 cup of sugar, beating until well blended.
- Add 1 egg and 2 egg yolks; mix well.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream.
- Add vanilla and cocoa mixture.
- Beat remaining (3) egg whites until stiff; fold into cake batter.
- Pour batter evenly into the three pans. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Turn out onto racks and peel off wax paper. Cool.
- Frost with Chocolate Butter Frosting or your favorite frosting.
- I made only 1/2 recipe and used two 16 cm round cake pans.
- For the frosting I used fresh strawberries and 1/2 cup of cream, beat until fluffy. Then add 1/4 cup of melted white chocolate chip. Beat together until thick.
And who's bithday exactly it is?? :))